Pages

Sunday 22 November 2009

Working - 3D Mandelbrot in Flash

Possibly a world first, I don't know, but I can confirm that I have rendered Daniel White's Mandelbulb set using AS3.

The first render is 216 Million voxels (600*600*600) and took about 10 minutes to do.

This is the 8th order of the Mandelbulb (where things start to get interesting from a fractal detail point of view).

First screenshot is half way through the rendering process:




















And here is the finished product:



Hopefully soon I'll have a 3D Mandelbrot Explorer ready and working much like the 2d version previously. I'm currently rendering an image 1000x1000x1000 voxels in size (1 Gigavoxel), and I'll add it to this post when it comes out!

edit: here is the gigavoxel render (zoomed in a bit too much though which I'm annoyed about so it cut off the "colosseum" structure at the top!


here is a quick preview of the voxel engine rendering a lower resolution (400x400x400) version.

To zoom in at the moment you'll just have to right click and press "zoom in" but this won't actually zoom in, just give you can enlarged version. Worth doing if you want to see individual voxels though :)

Enjoy!

edit: Just started playing with zooming and rotating:

Here is a view of the colosseum structure (normally at the top) from the side:

No comments:

Post a Comment