Pages

Tuesday 28 June 2011

There's nothing boring about Tax!

Well the title might be a bit misleading, but I'll let you be the judge of that. A close friend and I were in the pub last week discussing the benefits of a tax system which, instead of being tiered, would be characterised by a continuous curve. My friend being an Economist, and me a Physicist, and both of us slightly tipsy thought that we might be able to change the world with our new theory - so I went home that night and wrote a small program using FlashMath to try and quantify some of our ideas. The program essentially integrated over a Cauchy-Schwartz curve and compared collected tax with that of the standard tiered system. I had planned on expanding on this by optimising the curve using measures such as utility (an economic measure of happiness of a population) but for now here is the source code:



It isn't commented in the slightest but see what you can make out of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment