Pages

Wednesday 3 March 2010

Image Evolution

Based on the work by Roger Alsing I thought I'd create a real time evolving image. Initially 30 random numbers are generated from a seed, these numbers are the components of the DNA strand. Each number corresponds to a specific polygon with a characteristic colour, transparency and number of vertices. A mutation in the DNA strand results in a shape changes. Images before and after a mutation are compared to the original painting, Girl With A Pearl Earring, and if a mutation causes greater similarity, then the mutation holds, otherwise the DNA reverts to its previous form. This is similar to how evolution works in the biological world.

Here are the first few mutations showing development of the image:











These are early stages, with up to 165 successful mutations. I will leave the program running over night, and will update the results. The lack of computational power in AS3 and my completely un-optimised code means that comparison processes take quite a while. One way to improve speed would be to reduce canvas size so I may turn to this if the program doesn't produce anything nice.

Having said that the early results are making me feel optimistic. We just need a few more thousand mutations and it'll be there.

Update: Here are the 198th and 238th mutations, I don't think the image will look that interesting until it gets into the 1000s. Its getting there but its clear that its a long process. Unfortunately the rate of improvement also slows down. Its up to about 15000 mutation attempts, and its taking longer and longer to mutate successfully each time. Currently only up to 10 vertices are allowed per polygon. Increasing this maximum number to more could increase the rate of improvement. As could allowing other sorts of mutation such as gene swapping, where two of the seed numbers swap. I'll give this a go soon although I will let this version go to 1000 mutations just to see the results.



Update: Just a though on using this as a compression technique. Each seed number is a 32bit integer. This means 30 numbers comes to 960bits or 120bytes per image. Given that the original version of the image I used (a PNG so already compressed) comes to 231kBytes, thats a compression factor of about 2000. Even using 100 polygons (a factor which would drastically improve the final evolution of the image) the compression factor would still be around 600! This is very impressive. I remember reading about a competition somewhere to send images as twitter messages (a twitter message contains up to 120 characters or 120bytes of ascii?) This means that the images I have produced could indeed be sent as twitter messages.




Update: The evolution process seems to be levelling off at about 360 successful evolutions with over 1.6 Million evolution attempts. This leads me to believe that my evolution parameters weren't ideal. The two images below shows the image as far as I'm going to take it. The second shows a blurred image applied and actually the result is pretty good when compared to the blurred original (in other words when you squint you should be able to see the original image. I'll come back when to you when I've improved the parameters and algorithm slightly!



No comments:

Post a Comment